You Will Need:
- 1 can peach halves
- 1 tub vanilla soy “ice cream” like So Good
- 450g fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1-2 tbs. sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
- 1/4 cup water
- Splash of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- Soyatoo or other whipped soy cream
- a few almond slivers as garnish
Named after legendary Australian opera singer Dame Nellie Melba, this sweet treat is perfect for a summer dessert.
- Drain the canned peaches, but keep the syrup.
- Thaw the frozen raspberries, or clean and remove the stem of the fresh raspberries.
- Place the raspberries in a small saucepan with the water, sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook the raspberries until they become a syrup.
- Pour the raspberry syrup through a strainer to remove the seeds.
- Return the sieved raspberry syrup to the sauce pan.
- Dissolve the corn starch in a tablespoon of the peach syrup and add to the raspberry syrup. Cook until the syrup becomes thick. Put in the refrigerator to cool until served.
- Place 1/2 of a peach on each dessert plate or in a small bowl.
- Top with an ice cream scoop of soy ice cream.
- Pour or drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of the raspberry sauce over the top.
- Put a dollop of whipped soy cream over the raspberry syrup and garnish with a few almond slivers.
The original uses fresh peaches, which you peel, cook in a sugar syrup, slice in half and cool.
This and other recipes can be found at: WhyVeg.com/recipes
WhyVeg.com is an initiative of Animals Australia.