Serves 4 people
Preparation: 15 minutes plus (40 minutes to cook lentils)
Roasted Vegetable & White Bean Ratatouille
Spicy Chick Peas
< More recipes
Lentil Shepherds Pie
Easy to prepare, tastes great to vegetarians and non vegetarians, and is gluten free!
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 3 tomatoes, chopped or use tinned
- 2 tablspoons tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp chili powder,optional
- 4 potatoes
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- Soy cheese to sprinkle on top
- Cook the lentils until soft, about 40 minutes.
- Towards the end of cooking lentils, saute the onion for 5 minutes in a little oil. Saute garlic.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Simmer gently to a sauce. Add chili if desired. Add salt.
- Add the cooked lentils when finished.
- Cook the potatoes and make mashed potato by adding the margarine and soy milk.
- Place lentils into a greased baking dish and cover with the mashed potato. Sprinkle with some soy cheese/ vegan Parmesan.
- Bake in a moderate oven (180degC) for about 30 minutes.
You can use tomato soup with the lentils instead of tomatoes and paste. You can also use tinned brown lentils as it cuts the preparation time down to only the time of cooking the mashed potatoes; approx. 15minutes.