Salad of Summer Fruits with Watermelon Granita
Very much a summer treat that is light, refreshing and delicious.
- 1 kg watermelon, approx 1/4
- 80 g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) white spirit such as vodka, tequila or rum
- 3 pink grapefruits or 4 oranges
- ˝ cantaloupe melon
- 200 g strawberries
- The day before chop watermelon, discarding skins and pips. Place in food processor with sugar and white spirit and blend until smooth. Strain this through into a sieve. Discard any remaining pulp. Tip watermelon juice into a shallow baking tray and freeze overnight.
- Make salad by removing the skins and pith of the citrus fruits. Remove the segments from the membranes so that each segment is free from any pith or seeds.
- Either dice melon or scoop balls using a melon baller.
- Remove leaves from strawberries, cut in half in necessary and wash.
- Combine all fruits in a bowl and set aside.
- Remove granita from freezer, flake with a fork.
- Divide fruit salad between 6 glass bowls.
- Add a large spoonful of granita and serve.
Chef’s Tip: Place glass bowls in freezer to chill them down. This will help prevent the granita from melting too quickly when served.
Recipe thanks to Allan Campion and Michele Curtis