Deliciously spicy tofu with broccoli and rice
The sauce! The other ingredients are cooked simply but the sauce makes it special. It's also easy to prepare and being stovetop is energy efficient.
- 350-400 g block of firm tofu
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped fine
- 3-4 spring onions finely sliced, including three quarters of the green bits
- 1 tsp of finely chopped fresh ginger
- Canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 small head of broccoli separated into florets
- 3 (generous) tbsp thin soy sauce
- 1 (generous) tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp good chilli sauce
- 2 heaped tsp cornflour
- 350ml light vegetable stock
- Drain tofu and slice the block into 5 or 6 slabs.
- Place on a clean tea-towel.
- Cover with another part of the tea-towel and press the slabs down in the tea-towel to extract as much water from the tofu as possible.
- Repeat with a dry part of the tea-towel until tofu slabs are nicely dry.
- This is an important part of the preparation as the tofu will not brown if at all wet. Cut tofu into bite sized (2-3cm) pieces.
- While the rice is cooking prepare the sauce: In a small jug mix the vegetable stock with the cornflour.
- Add soy sauce, vegetable stock, sesame oil and chilli sauce.
- Set aside.
- Put broccoli florets on to cook (microwave for about 4 mins)
- Heat a dessertspoon or two of canola oil in a wok or large frypan.
- When hot (but not smoking), toss in cubed tofu and cook quickly turning with a spatula or wooden spoon until all sides are golden brown.
- Remove cooked tofu and drain on paper towels.
- Heat another dessertspoon of canola oil and cook the ginger and garlic over medium heat for about 15 seconds then add the spring onions and stir fry with the garlic and ginger for 1 min more.
- Stir prepared sauce mixture in the jug before adding to wok.
- Stir over medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add the tofu and cooked broccoli.
- Stir gently to make sure the tofu is heated through in the sauce and turn off heat.
- Serve over cooked brown rice