Peter Singer's Red Lentil Dahl
"Ok, so it's not my creation, but I could live on nothing but Peter Singer's Red Lentil Dahl. And it comes from one of the world's great animal rights campaigners, one of our own. I've been vegetarian for 20 years and this is one of the best. What more could you want?" — WhyVeg.com reader
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed/chopped)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1- 2 tablespoons curry powder, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup small red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2-3 bay leaves, to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tin tomatoes, (chopped)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic til fragrant.
- Add onions and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add curry powder and salt, to taste, and cook over medium heat til mixture begins to brown.
- Add lentils and stir for a minute or so before adding water, the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Bring to boil, then turn heat down very low and simmer for 20minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped tomatoes, and simmer a further 10minutes, until thick. The lentils should be soft and the consistency just liquid enough to pour.
- Add coconut milk and lemon juice. Stir through, and remove from heat.
- Serve over rice with lime pickle and mango chutney.
Recipe thanks to Peter Singer