Heavenly Vegan Cupcakes
These delicious chocolate cupakes are jam packed with all the extra goodness of peanut butter icing. Just remember to share!
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Nuttelex
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 teaspoons peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and let curdle for a few minutes.
- Add the sugar, oil and vanilla extract and whisk it till it's foamy. It will look gross, but don't let looks deceive you.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet in two batches and whisk. You don't want any large lumps, a few small are ok. It should look like melted chocolate.
- Pour mixture into cup cake liners until 3/4 full (they will rise).
- Cook for 20mins but check at 15mins with a tooth pick as ovens may vary.
- Beat 1 cup of Nuttelex until fluffy.
- Then sift 3 1/2 cups of icing sugar and beat for a further 3 minutes.
- Add a teaspoon of vanilla and peanut butter to taste.
- Beat until combined (you can add a few table spoons of tofutti cream cheese if you like and beat that in, YUMMO!).
- Ice cupcakes when cool.
- Your cupcakes are ready to devour!
Try dessicated coconut and jam instead of peanut butter in the icing.
Of course you can do a variation and add in the zest of one orange and have chocolate orange cupcakes. You can even leave the cocoa out all together and play around with raspberries and blueberries and coconut or lime or what ever you like.
Recipe thanks to Kate Broad.