A simple cruelty-free recipe for a tried and true Aussie favourite: lamingtons.
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 3 cups plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 6 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Nuttelex (or other dairy-free margarine)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon soy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- hot water
- Measure the soy milk into a bowl and whisk in the cider vinegar gently with a balloon whisk or a fork. Then set to one side to curdle.
- Sieve the flour, cornflour, baking powder and bicarb soda into a large bowl. Add the sugar and mix.
- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract to the thickened soya milk and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and stir gently with a wooden spoon until no lumps remain.
- Lightly grease two baking trays, or cake tins. (You can also use muffin trays). Divide the cake mixture between these two tins/trays and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 30-45 minutes. Check the cake after 30 minutes. The cakes are done when they are risen and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 15 minutes in their tins before turning them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cakes are completely cool place them in a freezer bag or sealed container and freeze over night.
- Get the cakes out of the freezer and cut them to an appropriate size and shape.
- For the icing, put the icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl. Add the soy milk, vanilla and Nuttelex and one teaspoon of boiling water. Stir well. Keep adding hot water to melt the Nuttelex and give a smooth chocolate paste/icing that is runny enough to drip slowly off a covered cake. Put bowl into a larger bowl 1/3 full of boiling water to keep it soft.
- Fill another bowl with desiccated coconut for coating.
- Dip each cake into the chocolate icing, using 2 forks to turn it. Let the excess drip off and then place it in the coconut bowl. Use 2 more forks to coat the cake in coconut. Allow to set on a wire rack and repeat with the remaining cakes.